the history of the free methodist church in brantford.

THE FIRST FREE METHODIST CHURCH in Brantford was located at 178 Market St . It was an old building that the parishioners dismantled and rebuilt. It was commissioned in Feb of 1902. Prior to that Members simply met in various peoples home across the city for the previous 17 years. 

IN 1956 THE CHURCH moved from Market St to 152 North Park St  into a brand new facility. This facility served the congregation well and by the nineteen nineties the congregation numbered just shy of three hundred persons. It was obvious something had to be done as space was at a premium. The church moved to two morning services offering a traditional service and a “modern style” service. 

THIS WORKED WELL, but the two services created two congregations and numbers declined. 

IN 2018 THE CONGREGATION voted to sell the building and property and we moved to 452 Grey St into a building that is operated as Friendship House. We got out of the “brick and mortar” business and into the “people” business. This move completely changed the ethos of the Church. Immediately we joined with friendship House and started to minister to people in the community and the homeless in Brantford.

WE DEVELOPED a number of ministries to assist Friendship House and work side-by-side with a dedicated group of volunteers ministering to the needs of people in Brantford. 

WE ARE LOOKING FORWARD to God’s continued blessings upon The Open Door as we obediently follow His example share the Good News that Jesus loves His creation.